[OS X TeX] Textures early history

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun Aug 7 06:29:46 EDT 2022

Hello Max.

Are you aware of the software called OzTeX ? Software for TeX on the Mac, under Classic OS. (developed for OS versions even before that name was adopted)

It was developed by a guy living in Adelaide, South Australia.
Subsequently he moved to Melbourne, Victoria. This was in the 1980s. I can tell you a bit more about it, if you are interested.

Cheers,

  Ross

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Aug 2022, at 7:32 pm, Max Chernoff <mseven at telus.net> wrote:

> I found a short review of Textures at
>
> http://www.atpm.com/4.12/page12.shtml<http://www.atpm.com/4.12/page12.shtml>

That gives quite a nice overview of the program. Thanks.

> I also believe that Barry Smith had to give up on the name MacTeX
> because this belonged to a Canadian company, which started such a Mac
> implementation when the mac was brand new, and quickly gave up. This
> was perhaps FTL?

The FTL ads give a Toronto address, and Smith's implementation was only
named MacTeX for a few months, so this seems consistent with the (very
little) information that I've found.

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery.

-- Max
TeX FAQ: https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/index.html<https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/index.html>