[OS X TeX] TeXShop 5.00

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 11 14:40:59 EDT 2022

Folks,

TeXShop 5.00 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from

https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html

Version 5.00 is a major update, but there are no changes when typesetting traditional documents, so users will see nothing new until they read or skim the Changes document in TeXShop Help.

The key new feature is that documents can access a preview window which shows live web content, in addition to a preview window which displays a pdf file. Therefore, typesetting engines which produce html output can be written exactly as pdflatex and related documents are now written. Examples include

TeX4ht
PreTeXt
html web pages

I used to attend TUG annual conferences in which old timers claimed that TeX would be dead in another five years. Many of these speakers worked in the Open University system in England and needed to produce interactive documents which students could access remotely. I ignored these talks.

Then Covid hit and my mathematical colleagues had to switch to remote learning with only a week's notice. I don't know how they did it. In the future, I expect that faculty will need to write documents which output both pdf and html files. The pdf format will provide a rigorous view of the course in final polished form. The html view will contain interactive material: movies, questions with student input, etc., teaching how mathematics is actually created.This html experience can be accessed remotely.

Several current projects are taking steps in this direction, but I expect others to emerge in the future. When they do, TeXShop will be ready, providing previews of both output files.

Richard Koch
University of Oregon