[OS X TeX] pdf viewers: pop-ups at hyperref links

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 16:52:32 EDT 2022

Hi Dick,

On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 10:16 PM Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I haven't looked at Skim recently and I don't know what the "second window" is all about. Will take a look.
>
> But maybe I should point out that you can already get two views of a complete source document, and two views of a complete pdf preview in TeXShop. If you hold down the option key whiloe splitting a window, it splits horizontally rather than vertically. Resize the window so both pieces are regular size and you've got two complete views.

Yes, I get it. It's a very nice feature too. But this is a single
splitted window, in two kinds (horizontally and vertically).

Skim has Split Window only horizontally:
View > Show Split PDF (toggle split PDF via: alt+cmd+P)

But the side window in Skim is a different feature: separate, side
window(s) to display the same pdf, via:
- hover the cursor over a local hyperlink
- cmd+click (while the pointer is over the link, with or without the
small pop-up window)
- Skim opens a side window, full width, about 7 lines; resix´zable, etc.

It is bound to hyperlinks, as far as I can get it, in parallel with
the small pop-up window. The latter, the small pop-up, is also
available in TexShop, but not the side window(s).

I think it would be good if you can make a 2nd separate window to show
the same pdf, if possible not necessarily bound to the local
hyperlinks.

Christian, hopefully, you read this: a 2nd window of the same pdf,
separately from being bound to local hyperlinks.

Best Regards,
Roussanka