[OS X TeX] pdf viewers: pop-ups at hyperref links

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 10 19:51:18 EDT 2022

Hello Roussanka,

I’ve just done a little more investigation. If I’m in a 200 page document, I always have to wait until the pop-up appears before I command-click; otherwise I get the tiny mutant window. If I’m in a 50 page document, I can often command-click just before the time when the pop-up would appear and get the second window in the form I want. If I command-click immediately after hovering over the link with the cursor, I get the tiny mutant window. I wonder if this is a timing issue — for example, maybe something must happen in the code between the time when you hover over the link and you command-click in order for it to work correctly. I have an older Mac Mini with a 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 and a not very fast GPU; maybe the machine is just too slow. It takes a second or two just for the pop-up to appear in both Skim and TeXShop.

Richard

> On Jul 10, 2022, at 2:36 PM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
>> Skim does have an additional tool though. (I use single page view, and I’m not sure how this works with a double page view). If you hover the cursor over the link long enough for the pop-up to appear and then do a command-click on the link, Skim displays off to the side a window of a full page width view of the lemma or whatever, but only maybe ten lines long, and it’s scrollable vertically. Then I can examine the text on both pages side by side and determine whether or not, for example, the lemma really does imply what I said it does.
>
> This is great! I had seen this side window many times before, by
> accidentally hitting  some keys in some rush typing. Now, I know that
> this is by cmd+click and what it is!
>
> In this side window:
>
> - I can scroll through the entire pdf in it
> - I can resize it
> - From the top menu bar of Skim, I can:
> PDF > Zoom In / Zoom Out, alternatively, I can use:
> cmd + / cmd -
> - It is a 2nd window display of the same pdf. (Up to now, I have tried
> many times, without success, how to bring in a 2nd window display of
> the same pdf, in Skim, and in Preview)
> - I do not know how to Toggle the ToolBar on its upper part. But, this
> may be good, to distinguish this "side window" from the primary one.
>
>> The one thing that annoys me about this though is that I first have to wait for the pop-up to appear. If I command-click before the popup appears, a tiny useless window pops up. I believe that at one time I used to be able to do a command-click before the pop-up appeared and it worked properly, but at some point it stopped working properly.
>
> With my Skim (Version 1.6.11 (141)), the side window appears without
> waiting for the small pop-up window, just by:
>
> cmd+click
> - I get a side window, full width, 7-8 lines
> - I get a 3rd, 4th, 5th (I havenät tried for more cmd+click :-)
>
> This is an excellent feature - thanks Christian, hoping you read this,
> and will try to do something with the pop-up small window, to get the
> entire math display displayed in it.
>
> Richard, thanks for telling us about it.
>
> Dick, now TexShop should get this feature as well.
>

>> Richard Séguin
>>
>>> On Jul 10, 2022, at 6:25 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Murray, Hi everybody,

>>> Skim has the same feature, including, after having jumped to the
>>> hyperlinked page, to return back to the spot of the hyperlink. This is
>>> very useful to quickly check math displays (equations, etc.)
>>>
>>> There is a difference between TexShop pdf preview and Skim:
>>>
>>> - In Skim, on my 13" screen:
>>> The pop-up target, a small window, displays only portions of the math
>>> displays. Typically, the left-hand portion of a math display is cut
>>> off. This makes it of little use, in many cases, actually almost
>>> always. Thus, I have to jump to the target page to see the full math