[OS X TeX] macOS Monterey - broken BBEdit/Skim integration scripts

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Jul 31 18:40:37 EDT 2022

> On Jul 31, 2022, at 15:27 , Stephanie Evert <stefanML at collocations.de> wrote:
>

>> On 31 Jul 2022, at 23:12, Adam R. Maxwell via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Correction: Apple never shipped Python 3, so there is no longer any version of Python shipped with OS X. Your easy button here is to install Python 2 using the installer package here:
>
> That doesn't seem to be true.  My MacBook running Monterey has Python 3.8.9 in /usr/bin/python3.  You might need to install the XCode command-line tools in order to get it, but that's easy enough.

Yes, /usr/bin/python3 is a stub that will trigger a download and install of Apple's Python, but it's intended just for Apple's internal usage in its developer tools, and shouldn't be relied on by 3rd parties (this is why I refer to it as "lobotomized").

Do not rely on Apple for Python or any other scripting language runtime (including Perl) in future. DAMHIKT.

--
Adam