[Textures] Textures 2.2.0b17

Paolo Matteucci p.n.matteucci at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 04:56:03 EDT 2011

Il giorno 06/apr/2011, alle ore 08:19, Bruno Voisin ha scritto:

> Le 5 avr. 2011 à 11:18, Paolo Matteucci a écrit :
>
>> :-) [Last paragraph is for you, Bruno!]
>>
>> What's new in Textures 2.2.0b17?
>>
>> [...]
>
> […]
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, and for the nice words!

Actually, the nice words were from Blue Sky, Bruno, although I [and I believe everybody else on this list] can certainly subscribe to them. :-)

> This section wasn't there originally when Textures 2.2.0b17 was first posted on <http://www.bluesky.com/news/220b.html>.

I know.

> An important point is what it says about supporting all OS X fonts, which seems to imply that OpenType fonts are now supported transparently:

Yep, although I believe you [still] can’t access *all* their glyphs or [AAT/OT] features [*easily* —à la XeTeX/fontspec, so to speak…].

> I did try with Textures 2.2.0b16 the re-encoding to MacOSRoman in FontForge, prior to conversion from PFB to OTF, as described in your message of Monday (http://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/textures/2011-April/000061.html). It doesn't work on my setup: I'm still getting completely blank glyph charts, possibly because I used the deprecated pre-compiled binary at FontForge's site. I'd rather not install MacPorts or Fink, so this rules out using a more recent FontForge.

:-( [For the record, I’m using Mac OS 10.6.7.]

A thing I didn’t point out in my message (which might make you feel a bit more comfortable about installing MacPorts) is that after installing the MacPorts package from http://www.macports.org/install.php (Snow Leopard package direct link: http://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/MacPorts-1.9.2-10.6-SnowLeopard.dmg), you can download Porticus (http://porticus.alittledrop.com/), with which you can easily download and install the FontForge port (and all the required dependencies: tick all options/packages) in a GUI and automated fashion.

Everything is installed into the /opt directory and shouldn’t really conflict with any of you existing binaries…

> For CM, conversion to OTF yields charts containing all alphabetic characters and numbers plus some diacritics, but other diacritics are missing together with the upright Greek letters at the beginning of OT1 encoding.
>
> For Lucida, things do not work out for AdobeStandard encoding (8a), TeXBase1 (8r) and TeXnANSI (8y) encodings in that the glyph charts show a combination of the intended encoding with Macintosh Standard Roman.

I must admit haven’t tried [yet] with the CM fonts (I might do that soon, though!) and have never owned the Lucida ones, but guess things might get tricky with all the different encodings.

But I really suggest you install the MacPorts version of FontForge to start with…

	Paolo