[Textures] reviving Textures

Paul J. Campbell campbell at beloit.edu
Mon Mar 16 13:54:34 EDT 2015

Dear fellow aficionados of Textures,

Many thanks to Paolo Matteucci for notifying about the news about
BlueSky at http://www.blueskytex.com/; I had been planning to check
on the appointed date of Apr. 1.

The news is early and very good!

Making the previous Textures freely available may help return many to
the fold, as well as save Textures for devotees who could not
transfer it to new computers,  and even show others the advantages of
Textures.

I hope that all previous customers can be notified individually of
the new availability, including those who may have "left the fold"
and are no longer on this listserve. I also hope that some publicity
can be made in various forums of the merits of Textures, its new
availability, and its revival effort.

The only questions I have are:

---Who is the "we" behind the revival effort?  And who are the "group
of dedicated academics" who are supporting it? It might be useful in
the next progress bulletin to post names of sponsors/contributors,
much as colleges and other charities do, to encourage further
donations and build morale.

---What is the goal of this crowd-sourcing: (re)development/renewal
of the commercial product? eventual open-sourcing (in any part)?
nostalgia and extended use for a small core of dedicated users such
as myself?

---Is there any hope/ambition beyond adapting Textures to function in
the Cocoa environment as it already does in the Carbon one? And what
is the advantage of moving to Cocoa? (and what may be Apple's next
move for OS XI?) Can a revived Textures compete well with the now
better-established TeXShop?

---Will the effort be closely enough supervised and documented, so
that the result is not again so closely dependent on a single
individual's expertise and knowledge?

I am elated at this news and look forward to further developments!

With best wishes,

Paul J. Campbell
Mathematics and Computer Science
Beloit College