[OS X Emacs] Incremental search in Aquamacs 1.4

Richard Vile hashiru at chartermi.net
Sat Aug 30 09:30:48 EDT 2008

I agree. And while we're on this topic of Mac-like behavior and
gradual migration to same in Aquamacs, let me make a small plea.

I use both TextMate and Aquamacs. Textmate has a behavior that Allan
Odgaard swears is the Mac convention and to me it's just plain wrong
and annoying as the devil:

By default, if you move your view in the text window, the cursor
doesn't follow. So if you press home to move the view to the top of
the file, the cursor stays where it is. In order to move both the view
and the cursor, you must use cmd-uparrow. This is so massively
counterintuitive that I often start typing thinking that my cursor is
now at the beginning of the file. Perhaps 1 out of 10 or more times,
this behavior is nice in that you can examine other parts of the file
before editing the part where your cursor is, but I find that to be
the exception rather than the rule.

This behavior is carried over inconsistently. The pagedown key moves
the view down a page without moving the  cursor. To make the cursor
follow the move, you have to use cntl-pagedown (cmd-pagedown has no
effect!)

This is baffling, confusing, insane and IMHO just plain flat out
wrong. (Note: Windows editors get this right. As also they get the
home and end keys "right" - i.e. the Windows conventions are better
and far more useful. But don't get me started ;-)

So, in summary my plea is: David please don't change the Aquamacs
navigation conventions to be like TextMate!