[OS X Emacs] Switching from Carbon Emacs to Emacs.app

Lindsay Stirton Lindsay.Stirton at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Jan 5 08:14:07 EST 2008

Greetings, once more!

I decided to take Pete's advice, and to install AUCTeX directly. I seem
to have
managed this, but with problems. Can anybody advise?

When I first tried to configure AUCTeX I got the following error

--snip--

configure: error: Cannot find the texmf directory!
Please use --with-texmf-dir=dir to specify where the preview tex files go
configure: error: ./configure failed for preview

So I tried

Macintosh:auctex-11.84 ljs$ ./configure
--with-texmf-dir=/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/

which seemed to work. However, after I finished the install, I get the
following
when I try to LaTeX something.

Running `LaTeX' on `TMA01' with ``pdflatex  -interaction=nonstopmode "\input"
TMA01.tex''
/bin/sh: pdflatex: command not found

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 127 at Sat Jan  5 13:03:30

Just to check, when I go back to using Enhanced Carbon Emacs, I can use
pdfLaTeX
OK.

As usual, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Lindsay Stirton

PS. My earlier problem with imaxima was solved with this in .emacs

  (setq imaxima-pt-size 12
        imaxima-fnt-size "Large"
        imaxima-use-maxima-mode-flag (locate-library "maxima"))