[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs printing

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jan 22 12:04:17 EST 2008

Am 22.01.2008 um 16:26 schrieb Jochen Küpper:

> On 21.01.2008, at 17:54, Paul Rathouz wrote:
>
>> My guess is that would be something you set in your print dialogue
>> from preview.  Set paper size.  This is the same dialogue box used
>> for all OSX printing.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> However, this is exactly the point.

So why don't you follow it?

> All other applications, including Preview on a PDF, open the Print
> dialog with a default papersize of A4. Only when I Preview and
> Print from Aquamacs does it open in US Letter. It's annoying to
> change it by hand all the time, and (at least) half the time I forget.

For me this is something I won't believe without a good and firm
proof. This would look like a bug. What I presume can happen is that
the print dialog learns from the document the size, which is for PS
or PDF quite easy. What do you see when you're going to print a
screen-shot, a small one?

> For GNU Emacs, I set ps-paper-type to a4 and all is well. Aquamacs
> does not honor this setting, so I am wondering what setting one has
> to customize.

I can't see the connection. The print dialog does not accept
arguments. AFAIK Aquamacs Emacs uses some work-around to print: the
contents to print is converted to HTML first (which also saves all
non-ASCII content) which is then converted to PDF and fed into the
printer queue.

Some Mac OS X basics! What is

	defaults find DefaultPaperID

returning? If it's not "iso-a4" then correct it! This could be done with

	defaults write com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs DefaultPaperID iso-a4

where the name "com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs" is the same that
'defaults find' has returned.

BTW, isn't the default paper size is set during installation?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

fools.