[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 1.5rc3: Bring back emacs keybindings, permanently killing Hard Word Wrap

Roland Whitehead rolandw at mac.com
Mon Sep 8 09:53:13 EDT 2008

David,

On 8 Sep 2008, at 11:48, you wrote:

> On 8 Sep 2008, at 04:34, Roland Whitehead wrote:
>>
>> 1. How can I easily bring back the emacs keybindings. For example I
>> want to be able to use C-x C-f to trigger Find File rather than an
>> OS X style Open File dialog (isn't that what Cmd-0 is for?). I
>> guess that I could go through all those that I want a re-write them
>> in my Preferences.el but surely there is an easier way to revert
>> back to 1.4 (and earlier) style bindings?
>
> Why do you think that C-x C-f now opens the Open File dialog?
> There have been no changes to the existing mechanism.

Very bizarre. It happens every time on my MacBook Pro. I've copied by
Preferences.el and other Aquamacs directories from my ~/Library onto a
new machine and installed rc3 on that and C-x c-f works fine on that.
Yes, I've checked the other machine and it repeats everytime...

Ah, hold on. I have a tool called Keyboard Maestro installed. I have
it set to run "Open" in all applications other than Terminal.app and
Aquamacs Emacs.app on the C-x C-f combination (you see how emacs has
now totally invaded the rest of my computing experience - I'm now
replicating Emacs commands on "Normal" OS X apps). Turning this off
solves the issue. So now I need to see why Keyboard Maestro isn't
recognizing rc3 as Aquamacs Emacs.app. Problem solved!

>> 2. How can I permanently kill the Hard Word Wrap? Every new
>> document has Hard Word Wrap enabled. I've tried setting the default
>> of longlines-mode to false in my Preferences.el but that doesn't
>> seem to work.
>
> longlines-mode is the old "soft wrap" mode.
>
> The change log should be helpful:
>
> "Automatic wrapping detection (hard word wrap = auto-fill, vs.~soft
> word wrap) improved.  A new customization option `auto-word-wrap-
> default-function' may be used to configure the default, which is
> hard word wrapping."

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm still pretty much at a loss. I've
tried unticking "Hard Word Wrap" from the options menu and then saving
the options but it is ticked on every new buffer. I have "(setq word-
wrap nil)" in preferences.el but c-h v word-wrap states that this is
buffer local in all cases. Therefore there still appears to me to be
no way of setting this as the default for every new buffer (or am I
missing something).

As ever - many thanks for all your work on my No 1 tool on the Mac!

Roland
--
QURU Ltd
Somerset House, Strand, London, WC2R 1LA

Registered in England, No. 6144918, at Millmead, RH20 2LA.