[OS X Emacs] How to set font?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 21:50:07 EDT 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 9:38 PM, <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> I don't understand how to set fonts.  I'm using the new preview 2
> version.
> For example, when running VM the summary window is in a variable
> width sans
> serif font.  I executed M-x customize-face then scrolled down to the
> Vm
> Summary Mode Default section and displayed what was there.  It
> listed the
> font family as courier new, the height as 120 tenths, weight medium,
> slant
> normal and inherit from autoface-default.  autoface-default just
> inherits
> from default, which is a pretty generic looking Courier thing (foundry
> apple, 130 tenths, black on white, medium weight, normal slant, etc).

> So as far as I could tell my VM summary window should have displayed
> text in
> something I would interpret as Courier-ish.

No objection.  (I assume that default is valid.)

> Then I tried changing the height from 120 to 150.  The
> summary window I was viewing got MUCH BIGGER instantly, but still
> not Courier and not
> fixed width.
>
> I'm clearly barking up the right tree.  How do I get the squirrel to
> fall
> out of it?

C-u C-x = should tell you what font and face is being used at point.
face-remapping-alist should confirm default -> vm-summary-mode-default
(or so).

It seems to be the right face.  Have you tried using a different font,
either in "default" or elsewhere?
You could start w/o customizations and then customize.  That should
definitely work.

Also remember that faces can, unfortunately, be frame-specific, which
really complicates things sometimes.

Generally it should work the way you described it!

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!