[OS X Emacs] "perfect" Aquamacs settings

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Fri Oct 23 13:51:42 EDT 2009

Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I am a fairly new Emacs and OSX user.   I am very pleased with
> Aquamacs (yes, I have made a donation :-) ) and consider it to be the
> "perfect" Emacs.   I am also using Ubunty Linux and have the GNU Emacs
> 23.1 snapshot version installed.   The way this emacs looks and
> behaves it sad compared to Aquamacs.    It is possible to create an
> .emacs config file for Linux using the settings that I have for
> Aquamacs?   I do not use an .emacs file for Aquamacs.

The usual contents of a .emacs file can be found in the files
Preferences.el and customizations.el in the directory

  ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/

You should be able to construct an appropriate .emacs for GNU Emacs from
them.

BTW, I think GNU Emacs looks terrific under Ubuntu Linux.  Perhaps you
are not doing what you need to do to have nicely rendered, anti-aliased
fonts?  See http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XftGnuEmacs.

Chris Menzel