[OS X Emacs] Re: Aquamacs Cursor movement and word wrapping: C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 23:23:14 EDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 6:54 PM, Tom Van Vleck wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2010, at 5:30 PM, David Reitter wrote:
>> Note that visual-line-mode is almost always off (by default) - unless you load a text file that is recognized to use long lines, or create a new text-mode buffer (and word wrapping is turned on there automatically).
>
> This is not what I saw.
> I launched Emacs 23.1.1 on my Fedora machine.
> It came up in a *scratch* buffer.
> I did C-x C-f goo to look for a nonexistent file.
> goo's buffer was in Fundamental mode.
> Configure Emacs showed "line-move-visual" was ON.

Aquamacs != Emacs
Visual-line-mode != line-move-visual

visual-line-mode means word wrapping.

> Furthermore, the "load a text file that is recognized to use long lines"
> strikes me as dangerous.  You're saying that when I edit
> file A a macro might work, but if I edit file B it would
> fail or run amok, depending on some heuristic guess about
> how long is "too long" a line, or "how many" long lines
> trigger the condition.

You have the "auto detect wrap" function switched off.  Note that Emacs determines using very similar heuristics which major mode to use, with similar if not worse consequences for automated processes.

>  And all of this will be switched
> on or off without any visible indication.  This feature will
> lead to more confusion.  It is an example of an anti-anti hack.

Visual-line-mode is indicated using "Wrap" in the mode-line.

Perhaps I'm going to rename this mode before we release 2.0.  It's called that way only for historical reasons.