[OS X Emacs] Re: Aquamacs Cursor movement and word wrapping: C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 23:42:39 EDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 11:23 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> visual-line-mode means word wrapping.
>
> Visual-line-mode is indicated using "Wrap" in the mode-line.

I need to add that these are not synonymous internally - visual-line-mode switches on/off a whole bunch of things, including `line-move-visual' and word wrapping.  That's why it is, for all intents and purposes, indicated as "Wrap".
But of course one could switch on word wrapping (`word-wrap') but leave `line-move-visual' off.

> Perhaps I'm going to rename this mode before we release 2.0.  It's called that way only for historical reasons.

In Emacs 23, it is an Emacs-native mode.  Emacs 22 didn't have it, but Aquamacs 1.x does have it (I wrote that one).

On Apr 23, 2010, at 8:54 PM, Kao Felix wrote:

> I would like to see all the word wrap configs available on the menu right now unified in some way. Right now they feel a little bit conflicting and confusing. "Auto Word Wrap on Text Modes" gets a checkmark when it's active, but "Soft Word Wrap" does not. Also, I'm not sure what Auto Word Wrap means exactly. Just "Word Wrap" isn't enough? If I have some word wrapping active I expect it to be automatic already. Unless the "Auto" mean something else.

Soft Word Wrap does get a checkmark when it's active.  Does this not work for you?  If so, in which circumstances?

Soft Word Wrap means this:

(defun turn-on-word-wrap ()
  "Turn on Word Wrap mode in current buffer."
  (turn-off-longlines)
  (turn-off-auto-fill)
  (turn-on-visual-line-mode))

I am renaming "Auto Word Wrap in Text Modes" to "Auto-Detect Word Wrap in Text Files".  Better?