[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs -- new buffer in new frame

prathouz at uchicago.edu prathouz at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 22 01:35:51 EDT 2010

Thanks, David. These were excellent pointers. What would be really
useful would be a set of "find-file" commands that are analogous to the
following "switch-to-buffer" commands:

switch-to-buffer		   switch-to-buffer-here
switch-to-buffer-other-frame	   switch-to-buffer-other-window

For example, the switch-to-buffer-here command keeps the buffer being
switched to in the current frame.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, David Reitter wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2010, at 3:10 PM, <prathouz at uchicago.edu> <prathouz at uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> 1. How can I force to "visit" (open) a file in the same frame for the cases where I want to do that?
>
> Try M-x find-file RET.  This might do what you want (not sure).
> Also, there are configuration variables starting with obof- ("one buffer one frame"), some of which specify which files go where.
>

>> 2. If I have multiple buffers in the same frame (e.g., a file, a dired buffer, and a scratch buffer) and I issue a "switch-to-buffer" command, how can I force that switch to be within the same frame rather than making a new frame?
>
> You can reach the "Switch to buffer here" function via the context menu (right click).
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> - David
>

> --
> http://aquamacs.org -- Aquamacs: Emacs on Mac OS X
> http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and support the Aquamacs Project!
>
> This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this email message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and destroy/delete all copies of the transmittal. Thank you.
>

> This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this email message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and destroy/delete all copies of the transmittal. Thank you.

Paul Rathouz, Assoc. Professor of Biostatistics           ph 773-834-1970
Dept. of Health Studies, Rm. W-264                       fax 773-702-1979
University of Chicago                               prathouz at uchicago.edu
5841 S. Maryland Ave. MC 2007
Chicago, IL 60637