[OS X Emacs] faster aquamacs ?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 12:38:17 EST 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 12:11 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> You could simply use:
>>>
>>> 	../Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs -n --args -q &
>>
>> Not the officially (by Apple) supported way, and it will also kill the Aquamacs process when the parent is killed.
>
> Certainly not! Two "nots", to be exact. (And if you want I can send you a copy from the Apple bug reports folks who asked me to perform something like this.) If you did not put something into Aquamacs or into the (exotic?) shell from which it was launched this way, it will continue to run.

Hmm.  How do you explain this:

- start iTerm, which starts a Bash shell
- run this:
/Applications/BibDesk.app/Contents/MacOS/BibDesk &
- wait for BibDesk to start.  Then close the iTerm window (which will kill the Bash shell).

--> BibDesk will be killed.  (Works for Safari, too.)

And I don't see why it would not be that way.  Child process...

Regarding "official support" - one may argue what this means.  I'd say there is a reason that there is an "open" command for .app bundles.

And application bundles is what we're talking about (Aquamacs sure is one).

> Maybe you are confused with the "official" way to launch an *application bundle*:
>
> 	open <path to>/ApplicationBundle.app
>
> It may also work to just
>
> 	open ApplicationBundle
>
> The latter two forms do *not* accept or read any command line arguments.

Right, except that there is --args (see above) to pass arguments, which I believe is new since 10.6.

- D