[OS X Emacs] faster aquamacs ?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Nov 30 13:29:42 EST 2010

Am 30.11.2010 um 18:38 schrieb David Reitter:

> How do you explain this:
>
> - start iTerm, which starts a Bash shell
> - run this:
> /Applications/BibDesk.app/Contents/MacOS/BibDesk &
> - wait for BibDesk to start.  Then close the iTerm window (which
> will kill the Bash shell).
>
> --> BibDesk will be killed.

I have neither of these...

>  (Works for Safari, too.)
>
> And I don't see why it would not be that way.  Child process...

Most children grow up and become independent from their parents. I
presume this worked for much more beings than processes could be
spawned.

Maybe iTerm is some MS- or Apple-like application that hopes its users
stays dumb as ... (fill in something appropriate) and sets a
particular behaviour, for example that to send all the processes with
it as parent a HUP signal. An average user wouldn't behave that silly.
20 or 30 years ago some programmes existed which needed to have an IO
channel to some terminal. They died when their parent, for example a
hardware terminal, died or was switched off or the user logged out. So
the nohup utility was invented.

Well, I use the *shell* buffer inside GNU Emacs and therefore cannot
see any sense in using anything else. I can kill that buffer and its
shell process – and no application I launched from this dead shell
dies. So my recommendation is to trash iTerm.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The world would be a better place if Larry Wall had been born in
Iceland, or any other country where the native language actually has
syntax.
				– Peter da Silva