[OS X Emacs] W3 mode in aquamacs

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Oct 14 15:07:55 EDT 2010

On 10/13/10 Oct 13 -9:56 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:
> I found getting w3 to work was extremely troublesome on my machine. It
> could have been user error.
>
> I find I like w3m much better, in any case. I use that in Aquamacs
> occasionally, haven't run into major issues yet.[1]
>
> If you like, you install w3m (the command line utility) using
> homebrew.[2] It's not an exaggeration to say homebrew is responsible
> for me using double the *nix software I used to on my Mac.
>
>   [1] http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/
>   [2] http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew

Thanks.  FWIW, one can also get w3m from MacPorts.  I don't know
anything about homebrew (it may be The Bomb), but didn't really want to
configure YA package manager...

With that, the emacs-w3m from Jeff's pointer worked fine *BUT* for
Aquamacs 2.1 you have to pull it from CVS --- none of the versions
available as a tarball is compatible with emacs 23.

It was great to get this to work, since I use org-mode extensively, and
none of the "stuff URLs into org-mode from browser" (org-protocol)
methods work on Mac OSX, AFAICT.

best,