[OS X Emacs] getting skim to work as default viewer

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Fri Oct 22 16:26:39 EDT 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 2:48 PM, David Reitter wrote:
>> Well, then I must not be terribly bright or we understand different things by "very easy". :-)  I have gone through this thread and I think I've found the instructions in question from Konrad (not Nathaniel, as a follow-up pointed out) here:
>>
>> http://old.nabble.com/Aquamacs-and-new-Auctex-11.86-td28261475.html
>
>> Am I to understand that I need to go in and make those changes to tex.el?
>
> The answer is a clear No. ;-)

So I'd thought! It would have been way out of keeping with Aquamacs' general ease of use.

> You're very welcome to start hacking the Aquamacs/Emacs/AUCTeX internals, but I'm not under the impression that you wanted to do more than just to make Skim and Aquamacs work together.

Well, also being a Linux user since 1996 I'm certainly not averse to getting under the hood, but in this case your impression is exactly correct!

HOWEVER: I just figured it out!  Recalling that customizations.el had caused problems in the past when I've upgraded, I just now clobbered it, restarted Aquamacs, and cranked up a LaTeX file.  Ctrl-c Ctrl-c brought up Skim by default.  Search and inverse search are are also working great.  All is well!  Sorry for the false alarm...

-chris