[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs ignores initial-frame-alist height?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 11:06:43 EST 2011

On Jan 10, 2011, at 4:38 PM, Patrik Jonsson wrote:

> initial-frame-alist (which initially was set to 118 I think) to a
> higher number, but whatever larger value I set it to (128, 138...)
> seems to have no effect; the initial frame is always the same,
> slightly-too-small, height. (Setting it to a *smaller* value, though,
> does make the frame smaller.)

I can't reproduce this.
If you can isolate the problem by removing your personal settings (.emacs, customizations.el, Preferences.el etc), I could try again to figure out what's happening.

Relevant details here are whether you've got the toolbar enabled, if fonts other than the defaults are used, if aquamacs-autoface-mode is on.
 I also assume that you'd like the initial frame on the main screen (where the menu bar is).  Where is the Dock?  Note that if the Dock is on the same screen, then Aquamacs will not open a frame that would overlap with the Dock (OS X standard behavior).

I had no trouble maximizing the frame, then reading its height using (frame-parameter nil 'height), and then setting the height in my initial-frame-alist via

(setq initial-frame-alist (cons '(height . 68) initial-frame-alist))