[OS X Emacs] Undoing the color theme customizations of Aquamacs

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 06:46:50 EST 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 1:10 AM, Sriram ET. wrote:

> I frequently run Aquamacs from Terminal.app and notice that Aquamacs does color theme customizations somewhere. Is there any easy way to disable whatever it is doing?

Color Themes?  Aquamacs does provide the color-theme package, but it does not load or use it by default.
It does load user customizations from customizations.el, so perhaps you're setting something there.

> Specifically, if I just want the color theme I get from running '/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs --quick -nw'. How can I do that?

You shouldn't be getting a color theme at all, in the sense of the color-theme package anyway.
If you'd like this configuration, you may be best off by using an Emacs binary distribution for the mac.

You could also use the Emacs that comes with OS X by just calling "emacs -Q".

> On a related noted, what am I missing if I continue to trigger Aquamacs with the -quick -nw options and manually load my ~/.emacs? It improves startup time by multiple seconds.

Too much to describe.  In a nutshell, you're missing the large majority of the customizations that Aquamacs makes on top of the vanilla Emacs.  In fact, -Q (or -quick) is meant as a debugging mode in Aquamacs and hasn't been tested.
Again, if this is what you need, consider using vanilla Emacs.

To selectively disable Aquamacs features, check out this Wiki page:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AquamacsEmacsCompatibilitySettings