[OS X Emacs] Revert-buffer with merge?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:27:49 EST 2014

Hi,

I'm currently working on a paper (LaTeX) with a co-author, and I'm wondering how people handle such a situation in Emacs / Aquamacs.  The co-author does not want to use Git or another VCS, which is fine by me - not having to check in every change is good.

We can use a shared volume or something like Dropbox.

The problem is simultaneous edits.  `auto-revert-mode' would pick up updates to the file and reload it, but it would also discard my own unsaved changes.  Saves are not prevented.

What I need is a function similar to `revert-buffer', which compares the saved file against an ancestor, and merges it with my unsaved changes.  This could be called periodically, and before saving the file to disk.
I think this might work nicely with both Dropbox or a shared volume.

Does anyone have such a function?

- David

---
Dr. David Reitter
Assistant Professor of Information Sciences and Technology
Co-Director, Applied Cognitive Science Lab
Penn State University
http://www.david-reitter.com