[OS X Emacs] Enter key for "find next"

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:19:27 EDT 2014

On Oct 8, 2014, at 1:20 PM, Jamie Taylor <Jamie.Taylor at pobox.com> wrote:

> The current behavior is for [enter] to end the isearch,
> leaving the cursor at the current (matched) location, correct?
> I routinely use this when defining keyboard macros (as well as
> in normal editing).  Is there some other key I should be using
> instead?

Until now, it would end the search and leave the region set to the last found location.  That means that an addition [enter] would delete (“kill”) that region.

Could you download the new version and give it a try?  It should be easy to work around the issue, although the change might break your macros.  I’d like to know about this.

> Or am I misunderstanding the changed behavior?  I notice there
> is different behavior when in isearch-mode via ^s and repeatedly
> typing ^s to find subsequent matches, and using command-G to also
> find subsequent matches.

In principle, the behavior bound to A-g is more “mac-like”.