[OS X Emacs] Delay opening HTML files from a shell

Braun, Michael braunm at mail.smu.edu
Thu Jun 6 11:43:08 EDT 2019

David

Three items in response to this email, and the one you sent a some moments earlier:

1.  I’m sorry I wasn’t more clear, but the replication steps you took do not relate to the problem.  The issue is not about opening Aquamacs from a Terminal shell.  The problem is opening an HTML file from within a process that is running from within Aquamacs.  So, Aquamacs is running, I open a shell process with M-x shell, and then try to open a file.  Another way to replicate is to start an ESS process (M-x R), and then ask for an HTML help file ( ?mean ) .

BTW, although my problem was with HTML files, I can replicate Win Treese’s delay when opening a text file from within an Aquamacs shell.  In fact, not only do I get this problem when TextEdit is the default reader, there is also a delay when text files are opened by default with Aquamacs!

2.  I was running a relatively new build:  Aquamacs 3.5  GNU Emacs 25.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin18.5.0, NS appkit-1671.40 Version 10.14.4 (Build 18E226))
dated 2019-04-03 rev. 9669eea573376c845745bf6df530a50fe281c9de

But just in case, I re-cloned the repository (a pull and rebuild generated errors), and recompiled using ./build-aquamacs.  The results:

A.  I got the following errors regarding libxml/tree.h:

  GEN      charsets.stamp
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make -C ../admin/unidata charscript.el
  GEN      ../../lisp/international/charscript.el
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make -C ../admin/charsets cp51932.el
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `cp51932.el'.
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make -C ../admin/charsets eucjp-ms.el
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `eucjp-ms.el'.
  CC       dispnew.o
  CC       frame.o
  CC       scroll.o
  CC       xdisp.o
  CC       menu.o
  CC       window.o
  CC       charset.o
  CC       coding.o
  GEN      ../../info/dbus.info
  CC       category.o
…

[Lots of other .o and .info files here]

  CC       intervals.o
  GEN      ../../info/emacs-gnutls.info
  CC       textprop.o
  CC       composite.o
  CC       xml.o
xml.c:23:10: fatal error: 'libxml/tree.h' file not found
#include <libxml/tree.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  CC       kqueue.o
1 error generated.
make[1]: *** [xml.o] Error 1
  GEN      ../../info/htmlfontify.info
make: *** [src] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  GEN      ../../info/idlwave.info
  GEN      ../../info/ido.info
  GEN      ../../info/info.info
…

[ Lots of other .info files here]

  GEN      ../../info/wisent.info
  GEN      ../../info/woman.info
  GEN      ../../info/efaq-w32.info
(base) mbraun: ~/Software/aquamacs-emacs $

B.  The executable app was not in the nextstep folder, where it usually is.

I have not had these problems compiling before, but I usually test this out one my laptop, and I’m on my work computer now.

tl;dr for item 1:  For some reason, I could not recompile, but I did have a relatively recent build anyway.

3.  I ran the lrregister command below, as requested, and then restarted my computer.  This did not solve the problem.

Thanks,

Michael