[OS X Emacs] Delay opening HTML files from a shell

Iliya Lefterov iliya.lefterov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:30:25 EDT 2019

Dave,

You are genius!

How do you find this time...?

Do you really have an answer to the question why experienced Emacs users like Aquamacs...?

Cheers!

-I.
--
Iliya Lefterov, MD, PhD
University of Pittsburgh,

+1 412 383 6906
iliyal at pitt.edu

On 6/6/19, 10:20 PM, "MacOSX-Emacs on behalf of David Reitter" <macosx-emacs-bounces at email.esm.psu.edu on behalf of david.reitter at gmail.com> wrote:

    Michael,

    > 1.  I’m sorry I wasn’t more clear, but the replication steps you took do not relate to the problem.  The issue is not about opening Aquamacs from a Terminal shell.  The problem is opening an HTML file from within a process that is running from within Aquamacs.  So, Aquamacs is running, I open a shell process with M-x shell, and then try to open a file.  Another way to replicate is to start an ESS process (M-x R), and then ask for an HTML help file ( ?mean ) .
    >
    > BTW, although my problem was with HTML files, I can replicate Win Treese’s delay when opening a text file from within an Aquamacs shell.  In fact, not only do I get this problem when TextEdit is the default reader, there is also a delay when text files are opened by default with Aquamacs!

    I did try that earlier too — no replication, instant response.
    The case of “?mean” also works perfectly.

    > But just in case, I re-cloned the repository (a pull and rebuild generated errors), and recompiled using ./build-aquamacs.  The results:

    That has to do with an Emacs build problem — I’ll let them fix it.  They probably already have in a newer version.

    Either way, we offer pre-made nightly builds on the website.

    > 3.  I ran the lrregister command below, as requested, and then restarted my computer.  This did not solve the problem.

    OK, thanks.

    I’m assuming you’re not getting this delay when opening a file from Finder, dragging/dropping onto the Aquamacs icon in the Dock, or when typing “open x.txt” from a shell in Terminal, correct?

    Again, I’d ask that you try to replicate with an Aquamacs started without configuration (Help->Diagnose), although I suspect this might just open the file in the Aquamacs that is already running with configuration.  In that case one would have to manually start it with “-q” from the command line or remove all config files.

    David