[OS X Emacs] aquamacs interacting incorrectly with git (and .org site not working)

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 17:17:13 EST 2019

On Mar 3, 2019, at 2:09 PM, David Romano <dromano at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I was hoping to be able to use Aquamacs for my git work, so I installed the command line tools for Aquamacs, and ran `git config --global  core.editor emacs`.
>
> This did work, but opened on the terminal, rather than in a new Aquamacs window, so I then ran `git config --global  core.editor aquamacs` instead.
>
> As expected, running `git commit --amend` opened a new Aquamacs window, but the altered commit message doesn't register, and similarly, rebasing doesn't seem to work either.  Is there a setting I might be missing?

With emacs (or Aquamacs) in the command line, you quit the process, which triggers processing of the commit message.

If you run Aquamacs with the GUI, the command returns immediately.  I think that we could probably come up with a flag for the aquamacs command that waits until the buffer is closed, but maybe you can simply use emacsclient, as Peter suggested.