[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 3.5 problems; error in Aquamacs FAQ

John Wroclawski jtw at csail.mit.edu
Fri May 15 15:49:24 EDT 2020

Hi,

> On Apr 24, 2020, at 2:18 PM, John Hosack <hosack410 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (2) Drop down menus do not work correctly. In the  list
> "Aquamacs File Options Tools Window Help"  all except
> "Aquamacs" usually require a second mouse-down to drop
> the menu. A double click usually works; a mouse-over usually
> does not work.

This will happen if aquamacs is not allowed to send system events, aka “control your computer”, in (at least) mojave and later.

Go to the ‘Privacy' tab of the Security and Privacy system control panel, and then select “Accessibility” from the choices to the left. You should see Aquamacs in the list of "apps allowed to control your computer", with the checkbox checked. If not, add Aquamacs to the list with the + button and then check the box, as needed.

I assume (but don’t know for sure) that the need for this in basic menu operations is related to either the way Aquamacs is codesigned currently, or perhaps the idea that elisp chould potentially be used to script the rest of the machine. Someone else might have a little more insight on this..

cheers,
-john