[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 3.6 beta 2 and synctex

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Dec 20 12:34:11 EST 2021

> Hello All,
>
> I?m using Aquamacs 3.6 beta 2, and suddenly I find that correlate mode
> with Skim doesn?t work in the forward direction. If I Shift+Click on
> the Aquamacs window I get the dreaded ?not on a crossref macro
> argument.? Inverse correlation seems to work, but I have to enable the
> correlation manually, even though the option is set in
> customizations.el.
>
> Sorry if this confused, but I am. I?m wondering if others are or have
> experienced this.

I have also experienced this.

I believe that the problem you are seeing is caused by an interference
between the "reftex" library and the Aquamacs code that is supposed to
set up synctex.  That Aquamacs code must clobber a key binding for shift
click that reftex establishes.

To see what is going on, see
/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/auctex-config.el

I'm not sure what is going wrong here: I suspect that this file is not
being loaded at all, and I'm afraid I don't know what mechanism is
supposed to cause it to load.

It's possible that this file is being loaded, but _before_ reftex is
loaded.

To be honest, though, I don't understand how Aquamacs is setting up the
TeX modes.

I'd be happy to cooperate to try to find a solution, though.

Robert P. Goldman
Research Fellow
Smart Information Flow Technologies (d/b/a SIFT, LLC)

319 N. First Ave., Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Voice:	(612) 326-3934
Email:    rpgoldman at SIFT.net