[Mac OS X TeX] opening .tex files under OS X?

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Jun 21 11:50:50 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>As far as I understand, OS X uses the extension (.tex here) to associate
a file with an application only when the file has empty creator and type
fields: otherwise it uses these (pre-X) fields to associate the files
with a Classic application. Clear these fields, and your .tex file will
magically get a TeXShop icon. (Does anybody know how Pepper does its
magic cf. [Mac OS X TeX] Pepper burnt me :-)?)

There used to be Classic utilities allowing to change the type/ creator
fields of groups of files and folders, sometimes it was even possible to
apply the change only to a selection of files within these groups, based
on search criteria.

I don't remember what these utilities were. As for me, I still use a
small (16 K) drag-and-drop utility called ctc 1.5, available on sumex
circa 1993, allowing the change of creator/type/EOLs (by Brian Bechtel).

By the way, I noticed that all the files I imported from my pre-OS X
directories are owned by "root", while all the files I created after
installing OS X are owned by "[my username]" (well, I also happen to be
root, but not necessarily anybody is :). Does anybody know how to change
this without having to Terminal then chmod?

Is there also a possibility of having .sty .cls .ltx etc. files opened
by TeXShop, not just .tex files?

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.