[Mac OS X TeX] Kerning problem w/ Illustrator figures

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Wed Jan 23 09:00:27 EST 2002

Todd

There is a thread on MacFixit where the Microsoft Font engineer
responded to queries about problems with fonts in WordX. One of the
things that came out in the discussion is that Apple have shipped two
older and malfunctioning fonts with OS X. One was Times New Roman and
the other, I think, was Arial (I've just gone back to check this but
could not find the exact posting). At any rate, claims of font problems
with Illustrator 10 and Word X are rife, and it may be the source of
your problem.

The solution for those two fonts is to replace them with the later
versions that ship with Word 10 or download them from the Microsoft site.

But one general point emerged clearly. OS X is a lot less forgiving with
fonts than OS 9 and Apple have a lot of work to do to make fonts work
smoothly.

Oh and Fontdoctor was upgraded for OS X sometime last night.

Adrian Heathcote

On Wednesday, January 23, 2002, at 07:04 AM, Todd Hufnagel wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am having some difficulty including figures from Illustrator 10.0
> into LaTeX documents typeset with TeXShop. The symptom is that the font
> kerning in the figures is bad in the typeset documents, with extra
> space inserted into some (but, oddly, not all) of the text strings. The
> fonts in question are ordinary Mac fonts (Arial, etc.) not the Computer
> Modern fonts.
>
> If I save the figures from Illustrator as EPS files, I get the poor
> kerning behavior whether I typeset using Pdftex or TeX+Ghostscript. If
> I save PDF files directly from Illustrator, the kerning is fine but
> then the figures in the typeset document occupy a whole page, rather
> than being cropped to the size occupied only by the figure itself.
>
> Any suggestions on how to solve this problem, or a work around, would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Todd C. Hufnagel
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Materials Science and Engineering
> Johns Hopkins University
> 102 Maryland Hall
> 3400 North Charles Street
> Baltimore, MD 21218-2681
>
> Voice: (410) 516-6277
> Fax: (410) 516-5293
> Email: hufnagel at jhu.edu
> http://www.jhu.edu/~matsci/people/faculty/hufnagel/hufnagel.html

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.