[Mac OS X TeX] Kerning problem w/ Illustrator figures

Siep siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Jan 23 05:02:50 EST 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:04:26 -0500
Todd Hufnagel <hufnagel at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am having some difficulty including figures from Illustrator 10.0
> into LaTeX documents typeset with TeXShop. The symptom is that the
> font kerning in the figures is bad in the typeset documents, with
> extra space inserted into some (but, oddly, not all) of the text
> strings. The fonts in question are ordinary Mac fonts (Arial, etc.)
> not the Computer Modern fonts.
>
> If I save the figures from Illustrator as EPS files, I get the poor
> kerning behavior whether I typeset using Pdftex or TeX+Ghostscript.
> If I save PDF files directly from Illustrator, the kerning is fine
> but then the figures in the typeset document occupy a whole page,
> rather than being cropped to the size occupied only by the figure
> itself.
>
> Any suggestions on how to solve this problem, or a work around, would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Todd C. Hufnagel

You might want to look in the Acrobat Reader under file / document info /
fonts whether any font substitutions have taken place (just guessing).

Did you try the different options for font inclusion in eps files from
Illustrator?

Anyhow, if the amount of text is small you can try the brute-force panacea
against all font-related problems: within Illustrator, convert the text to
outlines. At low (screen-) resolutions, this looks considerably worse than
text-as-text, but at higher resolutions it looks ok.

Siep

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.