[OS X TeX] installing t1-fonts

mahakk mahakk at das-dock.de
Thu Jun 27 04:15:16 EDT 2002

"Bruno Voisin" meinte doch tatsächlich:

>> now, i downloaded some fonts from ctan's ftp-server and placed all the
>> files in a mirror of the texmf-tree in my home directory. it now looks
>> like this:
>>
>> ~/library/texmf/fonts/cm-super/*.pfb
>> ~/library/texmf/dvips/cm-super/*.map, *.enc, others
>
> Two quick remarks:
>
> - This directory hierarchy (though I think it's advocated in the README
> coming with cm-super) does not work, try instead:
>
> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/public/cm-super/*.pfb
> ~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/*.map, *.enc, config.cm-super
>
> (There's also something for dvipdfm, but I've never used it.)
>
> - You need to modify config.ps for dvips, and pdftex.cfg for pdftex.
> That is, you need to make copies of them (from texmf.local) and add to
> config.ps the lines:
>
> p +cm-super-t1.map
> p +cm-super-ts1.map
> p +cm-super-t2a.map
> p +cm-super-t2b.map
> p +cm-super-t2c.map
> p +cm-super-x2.map
>
> and to pdftex.cfg the lines:
>
> map +cm-super-t1.map
> map +cm-super-ts1.map
> map +cm-super-t2a.map
> map +cm-super-t2b.map
> map +cm-super-t2c.map
> map +cm-super-x2.map
>
> In my case I put the modified copies in:
>
> ~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps
> ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg

great!!!
thanx a LOT - but where on earth did you find this information? i searched
for days using google, ctan, various faqs, newsgroups (should've come here
earlier, i guess <g>)...

well, one problem, though:

using

    \oldstylenums{1}

doesn't work, or rather the oldstylenums are still only bitmaps. any
workaround for these?

> I seem to remember Gerben saying there's something wrong with this
> approach (for example having to keep track of modifications to the files
> in the texmf.local directory for every new teTeX release), but I
> couldn't remember what should be done instead (maybe modifying directly
> the files in temf.local).

uhm, the way i understood this applies to the files in texmf.local, which
sounds reasonable, since these may get updated. i may be wrong, though.

could it be that we could create

    config.ps
    pdftex.cfg

in our library with nothing but the above lines? would be cool to have the
map files added this way while leaving all the other settings in texmf.local
intact.

guess i'll try this and report.

> This can also be done maybe in a more automated way using updmap, but I
> don't know how.

i know what you mean... :)

thanx again
mahakk