[OS X TeX] Two questions (documentation-related)

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Mar 27 21:21:03 EST 2002

I experience the same problem as Martin, but, if I recall correctly,
only after Locator incorporated the preview option which I use.

Both Locator, MacJanitor and the built in locate.updatedb script use
the same database in /var/db/locate.database - if different databases
would be used the problem wouldn't arise.

To be absolutely sure one should disable the preview option in
Locator and try again.

Claus

>On March 27, Martin Stokhof writes:
>>  on my  PowerBook that isn't up 24/7. One of the tasks that's in
>>  MacJanitor' weekly script is to update the locate database. What
>>  happens is that after MacJanitor has done that, Locator can't find
>>  files anymore and needs to rebuild the database (which, as Locator
>>  warns, indeed takes quite some time). Is this a bug in MacJanitor?
>>  Locator?
>
>probably you have the fink new version of locate installed in /sw
>(rather than in /usr) which uses a different database. MacJanitor uses
>/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
>To check which locate are you using, do a
>which locate
>cheers
>-- e.
>
>Enrico Franconi                     - franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
>University of Manchester            - http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/
>Department of Computer Science      - Phone: +44 (161) 275 6170
>Manchester M13 9PL, UK              - Fax:   +44 (161) 275 6204

>"help" (no quotes) in the body.

Claus Gerhardt
Institut für Angewandte Mathematik
Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg