OT:Re: [OS X TeX] More about UFS

nrich123 at mac.com nrich123 at mac.com
Tue Sep 10 21:23:12 EDT 2002

My understanding is that HFS+ is much faster for find operations because
of binary tree indexing.. but much slower for read/write operations
because it does lots of binary tree indexing.

Also, fsck on HFS+ calls fsck_hfs, which is a command line interface to
Disk First Aid - they're identical.

Standard Unix fsck won't  work at all on HFS+ as the required structures
are all wrong - you'd get instant complaints about missing superblocks.

And yes, HFS+ is prone to various problems that fsck_hfs, or Disk First
Aid, can't fix. DiskWarrior can fix much more.

HTH
Nick

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 01:00 , TeX on Mac OS X Mailing