[OS X TeX] texshop wishlist

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 14 07:14:07 EDT 2004

On Apr 14, 2004, at 6:01 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> [...] The ability to select a window and position the cursor, all in
> one click, is something which I think was introduced with OS X. It was
> very convenient. With 10.3 the default behaviour is back to the OS 9
> behaviour: two clicks required. It's unfortunate. I had got used to
> the new behaviour, and now several times every day I find myself
> selecting a window, typing in some text, only to realize a few seconds
> later that the text is being entered at a different place in the
> document.
>
> Rich Koch said this is not a change he did on purpose in TeXShop, it's
> all due to the OS.

Indeed, both mail and TextEdit behave the same way but in texshop I
feel the inconvenience more intensely, due to the frequent window
selections, I suppose.

>> 3. menu option with keyboard equivalent to print just the currently
>> displayed page of the preview window.
>
> You must have used Textures in the past!

Yes, but in addition to my unconscious desire to recreate the familiar
warmth of times past I also have a practical use for this. I often
print out single pages from long documents as pdf's and save them with
names like "page xx", where xx is the printed page number in the
typeset document. In document styles such as book, the printed page
number and the number of the physical page are usually not the same
because of separate numbering of the front matter. As a result, when I
want to print page 36 of the document I must actually select physical
page 52 in the print window yet name the output file "page 36". That's
confusing.

Perhaps the currently displayed page in preview can be passed to an
applescript?

Themis