[OS X TeX] Feedback

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Fri Jun 4 11:05:10 EDT 2004

Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2004, at 03:59, Anthony Morton wrote:
>
>> Personally I like to think of i-Installer as 'Fink without the
>> baggage', but I don't know that Gerben would want to go that far.  :-)
>

> I think more of it as "Installer.app on steroids", but I am aware that
> Installer.app has also grown and provides functionality that
> i-Installer does not. Installer is able only to install what is needed
> (after having downloaded it all) in a fine grained way, i-installer
> installs large chunks, but only downloads these as needed. Again, both
> approaches have advantages and disadvantages.

Again just out of academic curiosity. Are you saying that:

    Apple Installer downloads everything and /then/ picks and choses
    from what it has downloaded what it needs to install and leaves the
    rest lying around

while

    i-installer decides up front what it will need to install and /then/
    picks and choses what actually to download from what is downloadable?

Regards
--schremmer