[OS X TeX] DVI previewer (was: Nobody knows)

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Tue Mar 23 06:49:33 EST 2004

On 23 Mar 2004, at 12:26, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 23 mars 04, à 12:16, Massimiliano Gubinelli a écrit :
>
>> As an aside: I will like to know if there is someone (like me) who
>> still works with DVI files and does not like MacDviX?
>> (i.e. somebody would like to use a fast Cocoa DVI previewer?)
>
> Did you try OzTeX <http://www.trevorrow.com/oztex/index.html>? It
> includes a DVI-previewer, in an integrated way à la Textures, and can
> be made to work seamlessly with Gerben's distribution (you have the
> choice to use either Gerben's distribution or OzTeX's one). Its manual
> is also an invaluable source of information.

Thanks. As far as I understand OzTeX is a Carbon application. Became
fond of this wonderful operating system I would like to get rid of
these old applications (like MacDviX is). I come from the unix world
and there I used the combination emacs/xdvi. Xdvi is really fast and
slim, so I was thinking that with better OS as MacOSX is, it should be
possible to have a still better DVI previewer.

I made that question because actually I was experimenting about a
Cocoa/CoreGraphics implementation of a DVI previewer. For the NeXTstep
there is an application called TeXView which has DVI capabilities. The
porting of this application is not straightforward since it uses
Display Post-Script. Then trying to devise a solution to render Type1
and PK fonts on a Mac I discovered that there is no easy way to have
bitmap fonts in Cocoa/Quartz. A possibility is to use OpenGL and its
display-lists, but I'm still fighting with it... Another possibility is
to embed dvipdfm  and produce "on-demand" pdf descriptions of the pages
to be rendered by the standard Quartz PDF functions.

If somebody (nobody?) has suggestions or would like to share my
project, is welcome.

Massimiliano