[OS X TeX] DVI previewer

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Mar 23 06:58:33 EST 2004

Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:

> I made that question because actually I was experimenting about a
> Cocoa/CoreGraphics implementation of a DVI previewer. For the NeXTstep
> there is an application called TeXView which has DVI capabilities. The
> porting of this application is not straightforward since it uses Display
> Post-Script.

I was wondering why I'd heard great things about this app but no-one
ever ported it over. Now I know.

> Then trying to devise a solution to render Type1 and PK
> fonts on a Mac I discovered that there is no easy way to have bitmap
> fonts in Cocoa/Quartz.

That makes sense. Until recently, bitmap fonts in PDF looked like sin.
Somehow Adobe has got around that in Adobe Reader 6.0, and Preview.app
gets things half right, so maybe Quartz will be improved in the future
to handle this. Of course, that's no consolation now...

Will