[OS X TeX] Newer Latin Modern

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Mon May 24 11:13:16 EDT 2004

On 24 May 2004, at 22:35, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I am thinking about the 'family per desighn size' thing. I currently
> produce a family per design size, but maybe I should fold the design
> size
> in the family just as I do with the other variants. Probably cleaner.
> Yes,
> I think I'll do it that way.

Hi Gerben

Based on what I have read on the Typophile forums, it is possible to
bundle all of the design sizes into a single otf file using the current
Adobe FDK. I have just managed to get an old version of python
installed and everything up and running. If I have any luck, I'll have
some lovely optically scaled LM fonts soon...but I've only got a small
window of opportunity for spare time, so hopefully it's not the hardest
thing in the world :)

If I do manage this, we will only be able to distribute these fonts
precompiled. (I highly doubt Adobe would want their software
distributed in i-Installer...)

Anyone with AdobeFDK experience on the list, please speak now or
forever hold your peace :)

Wish me luck
Will

PS Of course, it's another matter entirely if Mac OS X will *support*
this optically scaled font I'm hypothetically creating...

PPS Don't hold your breath for results, but I'll keep you informed of
my progress. It may be a good idea to postpone your own work on the LM
fonts for the very short term until we know where we stand.