Please no: [OS X TeX] set environment variables forapplications

Kino quinon at rio.odn.ne.jp
Tue May 25 10:16:46 EDT 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 20:57, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I think that if you want to set environment variables for a subprocess
> of a GUI application, you should set these for that application only.
> You can implement that by setting these in the GUI of the app, store
> them in the app preferences, and then apply them to every subprocess
> you create.

Ah, I understand. Perhaps you are right. But this would not change the
situation for me. As far as I know, there is no other way to set $PATH
for shell commands or those contained in User Scripts executed in
ProjectBuilder/Xcode and, via TextExtras, in other Cocoa apps.

Even if it were possible to set it per application, I would prefer
setting $PATH for them generally. Otherwise, it would be difficult to
keep the consistency.

But still I don't understand what the problem is. Does $PATH affect
your packages? In the installation process? $PATH set in the
environment.plist is not effective for commands executed in Terminal if
I'm not mistaken.

Kino