[OS X TeX] Tex Day 1; texstart.tex + TeXShop = badly formatted.

Stephan Hochhaus stephan at yauh.de
Sun Nov 28 03:43:18 EST 2004

Hi Bruce,

> It's as though the table and last paragraph on page 5 should be on
> page 4.
It appears like that, doesn't it?

> Given that this is my "first day" with TeX I have no idea where to
> begin trouble-shooting this... is Tex OK but the LaTeX macros off? Did
> texstart.tex work with the 2003 code but start failing with 2004. Is
> this apparently "random" shuffling of paragraphs somehow intentional?
> Is this a Mac OS-only problem? Is the problem in "TeXshop"?
I am not familiar with the document, but I guess this is absolutely
regular behavior. LaTeX uses so-called floating items that it places
whenever it sees an appropiate place for them. Floating items can be
figures or tables. In order to get better control over how TeX places
those if you change the \begin{table} line to something like that:
\begin{table}[h]

In square brackets you have the options where to put the environment:
(h)ere, (t)op, (b)ottom or an extra (p)age.

Maybe this already helps, maybe this is off-track, but in that case I
guess some other listees will jump to the rescue ;)

Stephan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>