[OS X TeX] XeTeX 0.86 & TexShop 1.35e typesets nonsense

Mika Luoma-aho mika.luoma-aho at pp.inet.fi
Thu Sep 9 14:20:22 EDT 2004

I am wet -- no: soggy -- behind the ears.

I installed XeTeX 0.86 on teTex on my G4 Panther, and the latest
version of TexShop (1.35e). In TexShop preferences, I added misc ->
personal script -> xelatex and changed typesetting -> default command
-> command listed below: xelatex. I saved my .tex files to unicode-8.

As a result, I am typesetting nonsense: the documents look all wrong,
with odd graphics and no text anywhere to be seen. I hope I could
describe this better somehow.. there are no words..

I tried changing prefs back to tex-like in random desperation, but with
disappointing results: the engine refuses to compile anything and
prompts an error with every command. Tried re-installing TexShop and
doing it all over again. Alas, all the trauma all over again. Now I am
about to panic. Please tell me there is a simple solution to all this.
Even small favours will do.

Yours,

Mika.

--