[OS X TeX] Assorted issues with i-installed setup, or, "huuh?...aHA!"

Jonathon Swiderski jonathon.swiderski at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 08:43:27 EST 2006

I recently installed the TeX i-package.  It works great through TeXShop
or through Emacs+AUCTeX, but I am completely unable to use TeX from the
command line:  it can't find the format files, as seen below:

> Ranganathan:12:24AM % pdflatex lingh8.tex
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

All the files are in their usual places, or at least I assume they are;
I used the `Full' install from i-Installer. . .

Also:
- /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/README.texmf.macosx claims, in
part, that this installation should've created three texmf trees:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.macosx , symlinked as /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.os
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local

however, instead I have five directories:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex
... and don't have either texmf.macosx or texmf.os.

- I tried to use the LaTeX package tIPA, but the program couldn't find
it.  So I installed it in texmf.local, since it seemed from the README
cited above that that was where it should go.  Now I have two of them:
> Ranganathan:12:30AM % find /usr/local/teTeX -name tipa.sty
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/tipa/tipa.sty
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/tipa/tipa.sty

... and LaTeX still can't find it.

/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf contains (comments removed) :
> TEXMFMAIN  = /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
> TEXMFTE    = /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex
> TEXMFGW    = /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex
> TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local
> VARTEXMF   = $TEXMFLOCAL
> HOMETEXMF  = $HOME/Library/texmf
>
> TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFGW,$TEXMFTE,$TEXMFMAIN}

But now I look at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, which
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/README.howtexfindsfiles seems to say
should be overridden by /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf ("settings in
[..web2c/texmf.cnf] should not be changed (as you lose those changes
when you update teTeX). Instead, I override several settings in
[..teTeX/texmf.cnf]."), and find a very different (and much smaller) set
of paths searched.

So, in summary. . .
- there are a couple of documentation bugs, one minor, one major
- a config file that was supposed to be overriding a default file,
isn't.  How do I make it actually do it?  And why do things work from
TeXShop and from Emacs/AUCTeX, but not from Terminal.app?
- please excuse my sentence structure, etc., or lack thereof, and
anything simple I may be missing; it's not only nearly 1am, it's the
middle of finals week, and my brain is *fried*.

thanks in advance for any help,
JI Swiderski

Jonathon Swiderski -- jonathon.swiderski at gmail.com
"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week." --- Evan
Esar