[OS X TeX] LaTeX "forgetting" texmf

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jan 9 19:51:54 EST 2006

Hello Simon,

On 10/01/2006, at 10:42 AM, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> On 10.01.2006, at 00:35, Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> You are short a directory for LaTeX to use this answer.
>> It needs to be something like:
>>
>>    /Users/simi/Library/texmf/tex/latex/ucs/ttfucs.sty
>
> Are you saying that it should work if I move ttfucs.sty to /Users/
> simi/Library/texmf/tex/latex/ucs?

If your  texnf.cnf  file is setup in a strictly CDS-compliant way,
then the answer to this question would be 'yes' --- provided also
that you have done  'sudo texhash' since adding the new package.

BTW, it doesn't have to be 'ucs' --- any sub-directory will do;
such as 'misc' or 'mystyles' or 'others', etc.

However  gwTeX  is more lenient, and should allow the package
to be found anywhere (I think) within the  ~/Library/texmf/  tree.
(Others will doubtless correct this statement if it's wrong.)
Is this what you are using ? ...
  ... with TeXShop, or with some other front-end software?

If you share packages with other (in particular, non-Mac) authors, then
there are advantages to keeping your packages in a TDS-compliant way.

> This doesn't work; besides that, most of the time my documents
> compile with the setup I have, but sometimes they just don't-

That is a mystery then.

Does it help to do:  'sudo texhash'  ?
Is it only after adding a new package that it fails,
or can it fail again after having worked for awhile?

BTW, you can get the path-searching information from
a running LaTeX job by changing the command that you
use to:

    pdflatex -kpathsea-debug=7  myfile.tex

either on the command-line or in the TeXshop Engine panel,
accessed via "Preferences...".

Using 7 gives even more printout that using 1.
viz.,  7 => 111 in binary, so sets 3 debugging flags.
(There are up to 16 (perhaps more) available bits controlling
different debugging modes.)

Please don't post all the printout to the list, but restrict
it to those lines that refer to  ttfucs.sty  and  texmf.cnf .

> simon
>
> --
> Simon Spiegel

Hope this helps,