[OS X TeX] Installing RTF2LaTeX2e

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sat Jul 15 20:13:27 EDT 2006

Thanks for your help. I have made much progress. In fact, the problem
lies in Mac/Unix, not in any TeX distribution or tool.
Maybe I should post on another list, but I want first this
installation problem sorted out. I work on a Imac PPC, with MacOS X
10.4.7

What I have found is that :

-- The file /usr/local/rtf2latex2e/rtf2latex2e.bin is not considered
as an application, although ls -l gives :
                                                         -rwxrwxrwx
1 andre  admin  410356 Jan 28  2004 rtf2latex2e.bin
If you go to /usr/local/rtf2latex2e and type rtf2latex2e or
rtf2latex2e.bin, you get :
                                                         -bash:
rtf2latex2e: command not found
                                                         -bash:
rtf2latex2e.bin: command not found

-- The link in /usr/local/bin to /usr/local/rtf2latex2e/
rtf2latex2e.bin existed already (installed by i-installer, sorry
Gerben), but it lead to a non-application.

-- No one of the files in /usr/local/bin is considered as an
application. Go to this directory and type the name of any file, say
ps2pdf, you get
                                            -bash: ps2pdf: command
not found
instead af a error message saying "filename missing".

-- All the files in /usr/bin are executables : try 'zip' and you get
full instructions for use of 'zip'.

Question : how to make files with all the needed  x's in /usr/local
and subdirectories real executables, just as the files in /usr/bin ?

Another question : it seems that the password neded to log as root is
not the same as the one which allows you to sudo. True? Or is my
computer sick? (I had forgot the root password, so I had to change
it, using the installation disk. But the system would not accept the
new root password as a sudo password.)