[OS X TeX] TeXniscope problem ?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 10 17:27:33 EDT 2006

Le 10 mai 06 à 17:26, André Valentin a écrit :

> Here is my example:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[dvipsnames]{pstricks}
> [...]
>
> When this file is processed by TeXShop (TeX + Gostscript), all is
> working fine,
> and I get the expected result (in the pdf file)
>
> But when I double-click the dvi file, TeXniscope translates it
> (using dvipdfmx) to a (temporary) pdf file
> and I only get the red text, no (RoyalBlue) frame and no fill color
> (Cyan)

 From the dvipdfm doc /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/
dvipdfm.pdf (p. 20):

"Complex PostScript code, such as that embedded by the PSTricks
package, is not supported."

And from the dvipdfmx web page <http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/>:

"Nearly arbitrary graphics format can be supported with the help of
external program as long as they can be translated into single page
PDF "image" (like dvipdfm). There are few improvement on interpreting
and translating PostScript code inserted with \special command or
read from MetaPost output PostScript files. But there are still many
limitations and restrictions."

Thus it seems (i) dvipdfm is incompatible with pstricks and (ii)
dvipdfmx (and hence TeXniscope) isn't any "better" in this respect.
Unfortunately!

Bruno Voisin (from LEGI, located physically at the École Nationale
Supérieure d'Hydraulique et de Mécanique de Grenoble) ------------------------- Info --------------------------