[OS X TeX] Latex on Leopard

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 2 10:45:11 EST 2007

On 2 dec 2007, at 15:57, Romulus Breban wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am new to Mac and far from being a Latex expert.  I would like to
> install Latex on my Mac.  My final goal is to have a distribution
> that includes revtex; also it would be nice to be able to add extra
> classes from various sources without messing up my distribution too
> much.  I need to be able to produce pdf through ps.
>
> I tried out Wierda's distribution (doesn't contain revtex) with
> iTexMac2.  I wasn't able to properly configure iTexMac2 for the tex-
> >ps->pdf compilation path.  Apparently TexShop handles only pdflatex
> and such.  Any help out there?

That is two different questions at once.

1) The base TeX installation. Get MacTeX [ http://www.tug.org/
mactex/ ]. It will contain revtex, and missing packages can easily be
added in your home directory.

2) TeXShop, and basically all TeX front ends on the Mac will default
to the most direct way to pdf, i.e. pdftex. There is an easy option to
use latex -> dvi -> dvips -> ps -> ghostscript -> pdf (for display).
Add %!TEX TS-program = latex to the beginning of your file and this
engine will be used. There are more obvious methods of using this
route in the UI, you can even set it as default.

What reason do you have for producing pdf through ps? If it is just
final delivery, you'll probably be much happier if you make the tex
source dual compatible, and just deliver the ps version at the end.

Maarten