[OS X TeX] MathTimes Pro

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri Dec 14 09:35:56 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007, at 7:54 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2007, at 9:54 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
>> \usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
>> \usepackage[mtpscr,mtpcal,slantedGreek,zswash,subscriptcorrection]
>> {mtpro2}
>
> Howdy,
>
> Instead of Helvetica for Sans try the Bera fonts. I use
>
> \usepackage[scaled=0.84]{berasans}
> \usepackage[scaled=0.84]{beramono}
>
> Those fonts should already be installed in MacTeX. I use the same
> fonts with Utopia (via the fourier package) and Palatino (via the
> mathpazo package) and think they have a better weight match for
> those fonts. Of course, if the publisher is making you use
> Helvetica, etc., so be it. Oh, yes, it's always a very personal
> choice.

Thanks Herb. I will give those a try. For our textbooks, the publisher
wants us to use Helvetica and much of the layout is now dependent on
it. Even if changing was an option, it would require a huge amount of
work at this late stage since line breaks and page breaks would change
and more word crafting would be required. Of course, one nice thing
about LaTeX is that I can make the change just for fun to see what it
looks like. :-)

All the best,
   Gary