[OS X TeX] problems with Minion Pro package with gwTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu May 31 17:41:29 EDT 2007

Le 31 mai 07 à 21:29, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 31.05.2007 um 20:50 schrieb Ted Sider:
>
>> At any rate, I'm still unable to get MinionPro working.  Here is
>> some relevant information:
>
> Then do it the Mac way: launch i-Installer, make it run in expert
> mode, choose the TeX package and then press the "Configure Only"
> button. In this process you can choose to alter the use of MAP file
> fragments. If your Minion-Pro MAP file fragment can be found by
> updmap or updmap-sys, it will appear in the list – could be you
> have to allow a private configuration earlier (could be you need an
> up-to-date version of i-Installer for this). Select the Minion-Pro
> MAP file fragment by clicking the check box and finish the whole
> procedure. Then Minion-Pro will be available.

By default, installing and configuring the TeX i-Package sets
texmf.cnf as follows:

% TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.local
% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
[...]
% teTeX-3.0 and TL2005+ require these. Note, if you want pre-2005
behaviour,
% set GWTEXVAR to VARTEXMF. That makes foo and foo-sys behave the same
% roughly and close to old-style). Setting GWTEXVAR to HOMETEXMF
gives you
% new (incompatible) behaviour
GWTEXVAR=$VARTEXMF
TEXMFVAR = $GWTEXVAR
TEXMFCONFIG = $GWTEXVAR
TEXMFSYSCONFIG = $VARTEXMF
TEXMFSYSVAR = $VARTEXMF

If I understood correctly (but I'm walking on eggs here), this makes
both updmap and updmap-sys write to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local,
which requires sudo. Accordingly, I think your advice

	updmap --enable Map MinionPro.map

produces nothing (updmap attempting to write to /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.local, and failing, because this requires admin rights and
hence sudo).

In order for it to work, you would need to first re-run the Configure
stage of the TeX i-package, and at the very last step select "No"
when asked whether to make the setup backwards-compatible with
pre-2004 versions. This would change in texmf.cnf one line to

GWTEXVAR=$HOMETEXMF

hence allowing updmap to write to ~/Library/texmf and allowing the
user to run

	updmap --enable Map MinionPro.map

But really, given the original poster is obviously not at ease with
font configuration and just wants things to work, I see no point in
directing him towards making his setup non-standard as a prerequisite
to solving his problem. Whether you agree with the default settings
or not, I think it would serve the OP's interests better to stick to
these defaults when helping out, and possibly, when everything is
solved and working, point out that there could be others, potentially
better, ways of solving the problem.

Meaning that, in the present case, without changing the configuration
of the TeX i-package at all, and with MinionPro.map inside ~/Library/
texmf/fonts/map/dvips, the following should work:

	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map MinionPro.map

Beforehand, it would be safer to check for the existence of files:

~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
~/Library/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.log
~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.fmt

and remove them if they indeed exist; on a default gwTeX install,
these files shouldn't be present.

Bruno